New Core Courses
This page contains material on the core curriculum of the Graduate Interdisciplinary Program (GIDP) in Applied Mathematics at the University of Arizona -- upgraded, approved and ready for trial in 2019-2020.
Schedule of AM Core Classes for the first 2 weeks of the 2019 Fall Semester and beyond (information for students posted August 23, 2019)
- 8/26 and 8/28 (MW of wk 1); Misha Chertkov (Math 583) will teach 10am - 1pm
- 8/30 (F of wk 1); Shankar Venkataramani (Math 527) will teach 10am - 11.30am
Misha Stepanov (Math 575) will teach 11.30am - 1.00pm
- 9/2 (M of wk 2) No class - Labor Day
- 9/4 and 9/6 (WF of wk 2); Shankar Venkataramani (Math 527) will teach 10am-11:30am
Misha Stepanov (Math 575) will teach 11:30-1:00pm
- 9/9 onwards -- resume normal schedule:
- Misha Chertkov (Math 583) will teach MWF 10am-11am
- Shankar Venkataramani (Math 527) will teach MWF 11am-12pm
- Misha Stepanov (Math 575) will teach MWF 12pm-1pm
- ALL classes will be held in MTL 124
- The AM classes will use D2L for information and communications.
Core classes of the Applied Mathematics GIDP are
- Math 527 a,b: Theory -- Principles of Analysis (Theoretical Foundations of Applied Mathematics).
- Instructor: Shankar Venkataramani.
- Math 583 a,b: Methods -- Principles and Methods in Applied Mathematics.
- Instructor: Misha Chertkov.
- Math 575 a,b: Algorithms -- Numerical Analysis (Numerical Analysis and Algorithms of Applied Mathematics).
- Instructor: Misha Stepanov.
# in UA catalog a=fall,b=spring: Short Name -- Official Name (Tentative Future Name)
All the classes are mandatory for the Applied Mathematics (AM) first year students (major in AM).
- will be taught in the fall semester of 2019 (a) and the spring semester of 2020 (b)
- each includes
- three lectures a week (50 min on Mon, Wed, Fri - tentatively, update soon).
- homework, mid-term, final-exam
- are coordinated via
- flexible lecture schedule (posted and updated at this website)
- joint recitation session (1h10 min on Thu - tentatively, update soon)
See sub-pages highlighted within the table for description (syllabus) of the core classes curriculum:
|CLASS NAME||EARLY FALL||LATE FALL||EARLY SPRING||LATE SPRING|
|583: Methods||Applied Analysis||Differential Equations||Optimization
|575: Algorithms||Numerical Algebra
The classes will be taught based on notes available at this page (stay tuned) and updated before lectures. The following books are recommended as additional learning resources.
Please check background reading recommendations to help prepare for the core classes.
- Applied Analysis
- Applied Probability & Statistics
- Background reading
- Differential Equations
- Inference & Learning
- Numerical Algebra & Analysis
- Numerical Differential Equations
- Optimization (Algorithms)
- Optimization (Methods)
- Optimization (Theory)
- Books Recommended
- Statistics & Probability